Let’s face it, doing business over the phone is convenient for both the customer and you as the business owner. It’s a quick and easy way to exchange card information and complete the transaction. The easier you make it for customers to pay, the more sales you can complete and the more successful your business will be.
Which businesses benefit from taking card payments over the phone?
In general all businesses can benefit from offering card payments over the phone. However it is especially successful if:
- Your customers don’t visit you or your premises in person due to remoteness or being a virtual business with delivery only options.
- Your work with customers is rapid and doesn’t allow for immediate payments.
- There is a need for immediate payment processing times rather than waiting for bank transfers or cheques to clear.
- There is a risk to having cash at your premises or carrying it on your person.
- Your business may require up front deposits.
What are the benefits of taking card payments over the phone?
There are many benefits to adding the convenience of card payments over the phone to your current payment options. They include:
- May expand your business locally and outside of your regular business area.
- All major debit and credit cards can be accepted.
- Assist with your cash flow as payments are processed immediately.
- Quick and easy to set up and process.
- Low set up costs using an app or online platform.
- May lead to quicker delivery of products to your customers.
What are the concerns around taking card payments over the phone?
Accepting any card payments, either in person or over the phone, comes with some risk. However, if you follow the correct advice and procedures when taking card payments over the phone the risk of fraudulent transactions occurring can be reduced.
Actions you can take to mitigate the risk of fraud occurring from taking card payments over the phone include:
- Take down all of the relevant card and customer information including card number, expiry date, CVC, Cardholder name, ZIP/Postcode etc.
- Obtain the contact information of the cardholder including an email address so that you can contact them if there’s problem with the transaction and to email a receipt
- Request a signature upon delivery to make up for not having the card present when payment is made.
As a business you also need to ensure that you comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) when handling confidential data.
How to Take Card Payments over the phone using PayNow
Follow the guide below to take card payments over the phone using PayNow:
- Open the PayNow app on your device
- Enter your security PIN or fingerprint login
- Enter payment amount, card number, expiry date and CVC
- Enter Cardholder name, ZIP/Postcode
- Input a reference or description that clearly identifies the transaction as this will reduce disputes from customers
- Enter the customers email address for a receipt to be sent
- Press the Charge Card button
The PayNow for Stripe app will confirm the payment is complete and the payment will be deposited into your account.
Offering card payments over the phone is a great way to accommodate the growing demand for this style of payment option and secure your business cashflow. Spend the time to understand the risks, seek independent advice if required and take the necessary steps within your business to take card payments over the phone and continue to grow your business into the future.